Turning 40 is no big deal. Unless you’re turning 40.
I used to think it was no big deal too – when I was 35 it seemed inconceivable, 36, 37, 38, 39 1/2…39 7/8 – NOW it’s hit me. I know it’s just a number, a date on the calendar like any other, but something about it being only 40 days away rather concentrates the mind. You’re supposed to have some sort of feeling about the big 4-0, and true to my last-minute form, I’m now experiencing a sudden stirring of…what? Fear? Denial? Panic? Relief? Excitement? Determination? Hope?
My “life plan” has no danger of coming off the rails with the advent of my milestone birthday because it doesn’t exist. But, rather belatedly, I’m now thinking I should formulate one. After all, as something to hang all your hopes and fears on, your 40th birthday takes some beating.
I’ve always loved a deadline – and what could be better than my impending milestone? Now all I have to do is get a book published and lose a stone in the next 6 weeks.
In 40 days my life will begin…but it’s hectic enough already, thanks.
Back in the real world, I’ll be publishing my #40till40 series, looking at such seminal matters as:
- Should you feel anything about turning 40?
- Is 40 the new sex?
- To party or not to party?
- Can I still wear a short skirt?
- Is 40 an artificial deadline for life goals?
- How much longer can I keep having long hair?
- Where is my career?
- Are my kids my only achievement?
- Should I be wise now?
- How’s that “Love your body” thing coming along?
- Do I need to up my ‘health regime’?
- What can I do about my haggard face?
- Am I an inadvertent cougar?
- Boob job?
If you’re already 40, what’s it like?
I’d love to hear whether you sailed through the date gladly, or had mid-life angst – or both.
If you’re knocking on 40, how do you feel about the big birthday? Do you feel a pressure to achieve by then?
Am I making a big fuss about nothing?